The Galion YMCA was formed in 1957 at the Nation Guard Armory. The Galion Community Center was built at 500 Gill Avenue in 1966. Two tennis courts and six lighted shuffleboard courts were added in 1975.
In August of 1977 the Galion YMCA and the Galion Community Center merged to form the present Galion Community Center YMCA. An extensive renovation project, that exceeded $ 200,000, was completed at Gill Avenue in the fall of 1984. The renovations featured a Nautilus Center, the Bob Neff Memorial Fitness Center, and work room. General improvements were made to the swimming pool, locker rooms, service desk area.
A Capital Campaign was conducted in the fall of 1996 raising over 1.5 million dollars. This enabled the YMCA to begin construction on a 19,000 square foot addition plus renovations of current building. The addition included new gymnasium, elevator, adult and special needs locker rooms, saunas, jacuzzi, lobby, conference room, conference room, a school age care room, and fitness center.
As a result of the the renovations the Galion YMCA was able to add full time child care for 3 – 5 year olds in 1997. After school programs for K-6th graders became a reality in 1998. After another small remodeling project was completed in 2002 the YMCA included infant and toddler care to our list of child care services.